Sunday, April 10, 2011

The 15 week scan

15 Weeks 6 Days - Head is on the right
It felt like forever just waiting for this doctors visit to come. Finally got to see our little bean and boy was it big (I guess I have to stop calling it 'little bean'). Had an interesting visit with the doctor as he tried to identify the gender at this very early stage. He said he was only 90% sure and so he wouldn't comment or make a decision. I've finally learned a little patience (a very little) and can wait till the next scan on the 9th of May.

While getting the scan I asked the doctor which side of my body the baby's head was on. The doctor took a look at the monitor and laughed. He told me the baby's head was south and the feet were north! I naturally assumed the baby was laying horizontally but was I wrong. The baby was upside down! I think we may just have a very goofy baby. But it got me thinking, doesn't the baby feel gravity the way we do? Shouldn't it know it is upside down? And if so, is it comfortable? Anyway, I just thought that was funny!

After some time of examining the ultrasound print out the doctor gave me, I noticed some numbers at the bottom left corner. It read, 35.7mm and 17wks. I didn't understand. The baby was definitely bigger than 35.7 mm and I was only 16 weeks, not 17. So I asked the doctor to explain it. He said the 35.7 was the measurement of the baby's head, which translates into 17 weeks of development. So the baby is really ahead in its development! Of course it is just and average but it is good to know the baby is doing well even though I am not gaining much weight (It worried me for some time).

No comments:

Post a Comment